Location: Vestec and Prague, Czech Republic
Type: Academic staff
Imaging methods core facility (IMCF) at BIOCEV, Vestec, Czech Republic (www.biocev.eu/imcf), operated by Faculty of Science (FS), Charles University, Czech Republic, searches for an experienced specialist/researcher in the field of optical (fluorescence) microscopy and image data analysis.
The IMCF is a part of Czech-BioImaging (www.czech-bioimaging.cz) and EuroBioImaging (www.eurobioimaging.eu) networks and enables microscopy related biological and biomedical top research projects in Central Europe. We offer an opportunity to work in a challenging and constantly developing field, to operate high-end instruments, and to participate at high-impact biomedical research projects.
The position involves:
- assisting IMCF users in all stages of the microscopy-related parts of their projects – from experiment design to image analysis and interpretation of results
- participation at collaborative projects and methodological research conducted at IMCF and optional communicating the results at conferences or in peer-reviewed journals
- training IMCF users in operating any of the IMCF optical microscopes as well as in good microscopy imaging practices
- upkeep, maintenance, and troubleshooting of IMCF optical microscopes
- (co)organizing thematic microscopy workshops and participating as an instructor at those workshops as well as at regular FS microscopy courses conducted at IMCF
- keeping up to date with the latest developments in optical microscopy
- designing and coding (for example in ImageJ or Matlab) simple custom data analysis routines
- participating at IMCF all other daily operation
- working at IMCF in Vestec (15 km south from the center of Prague) and occasionally
- attending to the microscopes located at FS in the center of Prague (Viničná 7, Praha 2).
- Master, Engineer or Ph.D. in life sciences, maths, physics, chemistry or related fields
- hands-on experience with various optical microscopy modalities, ideally including some of the advanced techniques: super-resolution techniques (SIM, localization microscopy, STED, etc.), FLIM, FCS, 2-photon microscopy, CLEM, …
- knowledge of image analysis software (Image J, Matlab, SVI Huygens, etc.) and an ability to write basic custom image processing routines
- highly motivated candidates, not fully meeting the expectations on experience and expertise, but willing to learn the missing part, will be considered as well
- good presentation skills in English enabling efficient communication with audiences of various field and level of expertise (from undergraduate students to senior PIs)
- good time management and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- service-oriented approach to work and facility users
The initial contract is for 1 year with 3-month probation period with an excellent prospect of longterm extensions. The salary will correspond to research positions VP1 or VP2 per the internal salary regulation and will be in the range 30-50 thousand CZK per month depending on the candidate profile.
To apply, send your CV and a cover letter to ImagingBIOCEV@natur.cuni.cz Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide at least 2 letters of reference prior to the interview. Applications will be evaluated as received until the vacancy is filled.